How do I clear duplicates?
Duplication can occur in the event of a sync conflict, where you try to modify an item which already has pending modifications that haven't been applied yet. Sync conflicts are rare, but can occur when using Standard Notes on multiples devices with differing network connectivity levels.
Typically, with normal non-encrypted applications, the server handles sync conflicts automatically, so users don't always notice it. However, due to the encrypted nature of Standard Notes, our server cannot read your note contents, so cannot automatically resolve conflicts. Instead, conflicts are handled on the app-level, usually by duplicating your note if there are any differences between the two copies.
You can avoid duplication by ensuring a healthy network connection when using Standard Notes, or by making sure to pull in the latest changes before modifying an existing note.
If some of your data is duplicated, you can use the Batch Manager extension on the web or desktop application to automatically detect and clean duplicates:
- In the web or desktop application, click Extensions in the lower left corner.
- Find the Batch Manager extension, and click Open.
- Select the data category in the first row, such as Notes, then press Find Duplicates.
- Press Clean Duplicates to automatically clean all duplicated items, and keep only 1 copy of each item.
More from Usage
- What are editors?
- How do I create and import backups of my Standard Notes data?
- How do I delete a note?
- How do I delete a tag?
- How do I share a private note?
- How do I use Markdown in my notes?
- How do I enable spellcheck?
- How do I print a note?
- How do I make an editor my default editor?
- How do I search inside a note?
- How do I add images to my notes?
- How do I uninstall Standard Notes?
- How do I view a list of untagged notes (and create other dynamic filters)?
- How do I link multiple notes together to create a sort of personal wiki?
- What does it mean to lock or protect a note?
- How can I optimize the performance of Standard Notes?