Can I use Standard Notes totally offline?
Yes, absolutely. Standard Notes can be used totally offline without an account, and without an internet connection.
Without an account
When using Standard Notes without signing up for a free sync account, any data you create will remain only on the local machine, and will not be synced. There are a few things to note in this scenario:
When using Standard Notes without an account, you'll need an alternative source of encryption, since no password has been set. To enable encryption when using the application offline, set up a Local Passcode. You can do this via the Account menu. Once a local passcode is enabled, the same level of encryption will be used as if you were using the application with an account.
Without an internet connection
If you do use a sync account to keep your notes synced and encrypted, but encounter a scenario with limited network connectivity, Standard Notes will continue to function.
Any notes which have been previously synced to the device will be accessible without a connection. Any changes you make to notes while offline will be saved to the device. These changes will be synced to your account as soon as network connectivity is restored and the application is opened.
There is one thing to note when using Standard Notes without an internet connection:
The desktop application does not require an active internet connection (past the initial setup) for extensions to run. This means that editors and themes will work seamlessly when offline. The mobile application, on the other hand, does require an internet connection in some scenarios. On iOS and Android, an active internet connection is required for Extended editors to load (themes will work offline). In this scenario, the application will fallback to the plain editor.
More from General
- I've forgotten my password. What should I do?
- How can I change my account email?
- How do I delete my account?
- How do I change my account password?
- Is Standard Notes a good Evernote alternative?
- How do I attach encrypted files to my notes?
- Why is the app icon different from the brand icon?
- Can I collaborate with others on a note?
- How can I import my notes from Evernote?
- How can I import my notes from Simplenote?
- How can I import my notes from Apple Notes?
- How can I import my notes from Google Keep?
- How can I import notes from a bunch of text files?
- How can I contribute to Standard Notes?